Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Real Antlers - I don't do faux

 
These are the real thing! 

Not faux. 

 

 
All I did was embellish them a bit.

Now they look great on my coffee table

and

they are a conversation piece.

 


They are from my dad’s collection of horns and antlers way back in the day
when he was an avid hunter and fisherman. 

I wish I had pictures to show you,

but they are all stashed away in a safe place for now.
 

I can’t just show you pictures before I tell you

a short behind these antlers. 
(Unless you'd rather skip to the pictures, that's ok too)
As a big hunter and fisherman, there are a lot of photos in boxes, on reels and slides that someday need to be stored better so that they keep.  I remember dad going hunting with his dad and coming home with something crazy like 7 deer and 3 moose.  Mom and grandma would bake and prepare food for them to take for that time.  Probably a week or so they’d be gone.  Back then we butchered the meat ourselves.  It was great times.  I grew up eating wild meat and lots of fish.  We all had to help on butcher day.  Depending our age, my sisters and I either were taught how to cut up meat, grind hamburger, package hamburger or write on the packages.  You had to write neat we were told.  Nobody ever lost a finger to knives or the grinder.  The dinner meal was always prepared by my grandma.  She’d be cooking upstairs and we’d be in the basement cutting up meat.  In grandpa’s garage, there hung all the moose horns and deer antlers from all the hunting trips.  There were a lot of them!  I’ve been lucky in being the one to take them home with me.  And yes there are a few moose horns in my basement.  They're a little too big for the coffee table.  While a lot of them are beautiful just as they are, a lot of them look best with a little glam.
 
Have a look at what I’ve done with a few antlers. 
Notice the natural bone color still shows thru in places.
I used Old White and Graphite 'chalk paint'.









Hope you weren’t to ‘wierded’ out with this post.
Do you think this would add a little something to your
mantle or coffee table,
or how about the hubby’s den?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...