Monday, February 10, 2014

Graphite & Stain Together Forever

This is my first attempt at a two-toned furniture re-do and I really must say it turned out pretty good. I think a lot of it depends on what color you love to paint and where you leave the natural wood to show.  The combination has to work.
 

Every piece I buy has some story of course.  We sometimes visit the Thrift Store on Saturdays but this particular weekend the furniture area was pretty picked over.  Lonely stood this square table.  I loved the curvature of the legs, the lip on the top, the width that framed the top and the height.  For $12, I really couldn’t go wrong even if  I did nothing with it for years. 
That’s only 2 fancy coffees to give up really. 
BUT, for some reason we walked away.  LATER that week, I called the store because I couldn't get it out of my mind and it bugged me that I didn’t buy it.  It was still there waiting for me!  I even took my lunch hour to go get it leaving only 20 minutes for eating.  No, they are not open after 5:00.
So, in my basement I turned it around several times debated what to do.  I knew I was going to paint it Graphite but it needed a special “wow” factor.
So, here’s what I did.
 

I started to sand parts of it.  The wide border around the top and lip was sanded and prepped for stain – the same stain as our woodwork in the house. 
 
Then I sanded just the corners of the legs.  Later, I would distress the paint to reveal the natural wood and the wax would hi-lite it. 
That’s the beauty of Chalk Paint. 
 didn’t need to sand the entire table. 
 


Now the paint.  This photo above is without any wax so it looks very dull.
Yes if you noticed I did sand and stain the lip and then painted right over it. 
WHY you ask? 


Because I wanted this affect.  A little distressing to reveal the stain beneath.


I used clear wax first to soak into the paint then dark wax to give a richer tone.  Here you see the corners soaking up the dark wax.


Eventually I think I will get a glass top just because this table is used A LOT .


Have a good week.  I’m getting onto the next project in the basement.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on this table, Bonny! :) I have an old desk (a one arm desk...I'm a retired First Grade teacher!), an old Singer sewing machine, and some other odds and ends in our garage that need some TLC and, more than anything, some "follow through" with some ideas I have. Your table with the chalk paint and stain is truly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little jealous. I wish I had more time to do all these projects. I'm glad you like the table, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...